Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Culturally Responsive Teaching

Culturally Responsive Teaching Questions:

  • What do I notice?
    • details to be noticed
    • culture is important
    • go beyond noticings; ask questions
  • How do I teach?
    • bridge the gap
    • lift them up to grade-level standards
  • How do I feel?
    • everyone is human...be careful of biases
    • reflect on how you feel about diversity
    • high expectations for all learners
  • What do I say?
    • questions asked?
    • no stereotypes
    • no offhand remarks/comments
    • positive and culturally sensitive relations with parents
  • What do I know?
    • correctly pronounce their names
    • sources of cultural diversity in class
    • what do I know/need to know about the cultures in my classroom?
  • What materials do I use?
    • mentor texts
    • multicultural books and materials
    • do my students see themselves in the materials I choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment